Thursday, May 26, 2011

"THE DUKE"


Marion Robert Morrison; May 26, 1907 – June 11, 1979

Whenever I'm asked why I joined the Marine Corps and not any other service, I always answer with "It's always been the Marines for me; no other service was ever an option."  The truth is that my answer should be, "I watched John Wayne in The Sands of Iwo Jima as a kid and knew what I wanted to do when I grew up." With just over three years until my retirement from the military, I owe my thanks to The Duke for my decision to join.  If I continue past twenty, then I owe my thanks to Jillian for her endless support.

1949





With John Bradley - one of six to raise the American Flag on Mount Surabachi. 






























1951











1930

















 1939


2 comments:

  1. John Wayne has been such a huge figure in my family too, for my grandpa (who was in the Army and later a commander of his AL post), and for Bill as well. Go Jillian for being a super Marine wife!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, good luck to ya! You're not going to have any problems...you've been working your tail off. Show 'em who's boss.

    ReplyDelete